Recently, I was asked by another beer writer to recommend a couple of my favorite breweries in New Orleans – it wasn’t feasible, timing-wise to give a list of 6 breweries (it rarely is), so I started thinking about themes and outings, and what kind of an experience she’d be up for at any particular time. Also, no one wants to be in New Orleans for the weekend and spend all their time in breweries. It’s New Orleans!
So, here’s what I came up with.
1) take a Lyft out to the Bywater to check out Parleaux Beer Lab. While you’re chilling out in their beer garden drinking great beer, order Pizza Delicious for delivery. Then walk over to catch some outdoor live music at wine bar (with cheese plates and other food) Bacchanal.
2) Go to Frenchmen Street for live music and a visit to Brieux Carre. Lots of clubs there, some with cover charge (worth it), some without. Grab a sausage at Dat Dog.
3) Go to the Avenue Pub, full stop. When you are able to tear yourself away, head over to Courtyard Brewery. There’s food at the Pub, but also a food truck/pop up at Courtyard. If you are in the mood for a whiskey nightcap, head to Barrel Proof, just across the way from Courtyard. Or go back to the Pub.
4) Get a Lyft to Wayward Owl Brewing. After sampling their beers, head (carefully) across Broad Street and check out Broad Street Cider and Ale, along with Roulaison rum microdistillery and Piety and Desire Chocolate.
5) Eat and drink your way down Freret Street, starting or ending at Freret Beer Room. Other awesome places of note include: Ancora Pizza, Company Burger, and Piccolo Gelateria.
6) Cruise down Tchoupitoulas Street, hitting: Urban South, NOLA Brewing, NOLA Distilling, and Port Orleans. Or the other way around. Port Orleans has the best food program of any brewery. Also if you’re on the Port Orleans side of Tchoup between 1-7pm, head further uptown a couple blocks and get a snoball at Hansen’s Sno Bliz. Wait in the line, it’s ok.
I feel like I’ll be able to add a lot more to this list. Haven’t even touched Mid-City – also a streetcar hop on and off at various places could be fun as well.